The Danish Swimming Federation today announced 17 swimmers selected for their â€˜Vikingâ€™ squad, which is the squad consisting of swimmers already on the national team, and those potentials who are very close to qualifying for major international senior meets.
More a rebranding of an already existing squad, than a follow-up to the Great Danes project, the 7 male swimmers are still all except Marcus KrÃ¸yer Svendsen from the group of 13 young and talented male swimmers, that were selected for the Great Danes project last year.
The selection procedure for the Viking squad was described (in Danish) in this info letter earlier this year, with accompanying qualification standard times. Swimmers can still qualify for the activities planned, but have to make the standard times before a deadline set for each activity.
The 17 selected as of now
- Julie Levisen, Ã…lborg SvÃ¸mmeklub*
- Emilie Beckmann, Tune IF/GTI
- Mie Ã˜. Nielsen, Ã…lborg SvÃ¸mmeklub*
- Maj Howardsen, Sigma Swim AllerÃ¸d*
- Louise B. Dalgaard, Ã…lborg SvÃ¸mmeklub*
- Julie Kepp Jensen, JGI/A6
- Rikke MÃ¸ller Pedersen, STM / Herning SvÃ¸mmeklub*
- Jeanette Ottesen, Lyngby SvÃ¸mmeklub / NTC*
- Pernille Blume, Sigma BirkerÃ¸d/NTC*
- Julie Aglund Lauridsen, Sigma AllerÃ¸d/NTC*
- Viktor B. Bromer, Ã…lborg SvÃ¸mmeklub*
- Magnus Westermann, Herlev SvÃ¸mning
- Frans Johannessen, Esbjerg SvÃ¸mmeklub
- Frederik Siem Pedersen, Farum SvÃ¸mmeklub
- Marcus KrÃ¸yer Svendsen, SvÃ¸mmeklubben Kvik, Kastrup
- Daniel Skaaning, STT/VAT-Copenhagen/NTC*
- Daniel Steen Andersen, Horsens SvÃ¸mmeklub/NTC (subjectively selected)
*Berlin 2014 team member
Missing from the Berlin 2014 squad are US-based Lotte Friis, Mads GlÃ¦sner, Anders Lie Nielsen and Anton Ã˜rskov Ipsen, plus Sarah Bro.
Daniel Steen Andersen is marked as â€˜subjectively selectedâ€™, most likely because of the injury that prevented him from participating at the Berlin 2014 European Championships.
Activities planned for â€˜The Vikingsâ€™ are
- 7-9 November 2014: North Sea Swim Meet 2014
(Deadline for qualification 15 October 2014)
- 5-15 January 2015: Warm Weather Camp
(Deadline for qualification 1. december 2014)
- March 2015: International meet, to be determined
(Deadline not yet set)
- 29-31 Maj 2015: Bergen Swim Festival
(Deadline for qualification 1 April 2015 – Danish Open)