An 11-year-old girl died after police say she was electrocuted while swimming in a lagoon behind a home in Toms River, New Jersey this weekend.
As CBS2’s Erin Logan reported, neighbors were mourning Sunday night for the little girl whose life was cut so short. It was supposed to be a fun night for the girl and her friends, but the water turned tragic, 1010 WINS’ Samantha Liebman reported.
Family friends identified the victim as Kayla Matos, of Newark.
Toms River police say they responded to 45 Tobago Ave. at 8:12 p.m. for reports of a possible electrocution of a young girl.
Police said Kayla was swimming and using an inflatable raft with two of her friends when two of the girls touched the rail to a metal boat lift, sending an electric current through their equipment and causing the fatal injury.
Within minutes, Toms River police and EMS arrived and took over CPR that was begun by adults at the home.
First responders then utilized an automated external defibrillator before rushing the little girl to Community Medical Center, where was later pronounced dead.
See CBS New York