Water skiing wakeboarding and fishing were things Kelsey McClain lived for.
“Pretty much anything to do with the outdoors, she loved,” said McClain’s mother, Jennifer McClain.
But she also died by the outdoors.
In August 2015, McClain celebrated her 24th birthday at Fisher’s Landing, a resort along the Colorado River. She felt fine when she got back home to El Cajon, California, but that changed a few days later.
“With what she described as a pounding headache,” her mother said.
Prescription painkillers hardly helped. McClain woke up the next morning unable to speak or move her head. Doctors admitted her, suspecting bacterial meningitis.
“It was apparent to everyone this was progressing,” Jennifer said.
Multiple antibiotics failed, and McClain’s condition worsened.
“She had a full grand mal seizure,” Jennifer said.
Eight days after she got back from celebrating her birthday, McClain was brain dead.
- Keri-Anne Payne stellar Gold Medal performance over 10km at Shanghai 2011 | FINA World Championships
- How to Stay Warm in Freezing Water
- Local MSU swimmer ‘devastated’ by school’s decision to cut the program
- Great Adventures Green Island Ocean Swim 2020
- How To Start Open Water Swimming – Tips For Beginners – Wardie Bay Beach
- Tokyo opens 15,000-seat Olympic aquatics centre
- Etiene Medeiros 🆚 Katinka Hosszu at Windsor 2016 🏊♀️ 🏁 | FINA World Championships
- What its like to swim at the Brighton Baths