Press release from FINA
FINA OPEN WATER SWIMMING GRAND PRIX 2014
A total 36 swimmers (14 women and 22 men) from 16 countries took the plunge in the third leg of the FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix 2014, organised in Cancun (MEX) on March 29.
Powerful Angela Maurer from Germany took out the womenâ€™s race in 3h25m26s3. It is the first podium for Maurer in the Grand Prix circuit this year, who won by the slimmest of margins ahead of Anna Olasz from Hungary (3h25m27s2). Local swimmer Melissa Villasenor created a sensation, making her Grand Prix podium debut with the bronze in a time of 3h31m22s6. Argentinaâ€™s Pilar Geijo finished at the podiumâ€™s door in 3h31m48s2.
The menâ€™s race was won by Dutch Weertman Ferry in 3h04m06s3. Ferry bested veteran Simone Ercoli of Italy, second in 3h04m07s8 and compatriot Marcel Schouten, third in 3h05m14s6. These podium appearances are a nice boost for the three medallists, who have been regular competitors in the FINA Grand Prix circuit for several years.
FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix 2014 calendar:
- Race 1: February 2 in Santa Fe-Coronda (ARG, 57km)
- Race 2: February 9 in Hernandarias-Parana (ARG, 88km)
- Race 3: March 29 in Cancun (MEX, 15km)
- NEXT RACE: July 26 in Lac St-Jean (CAN, 32km)
- Race 5: August 2 in Lac Magog (CAN, 34km)
- Race 6: date TBC in Ohrid Lake (MKD, 33km)
- Race 7: September 6 in Capri-Napoli (ITA, 36km)