Kevin Short died Sunday in what officials simply describe as a tragic, freak accident. He was swimming with others near Garland Bend on Lake Cumberland when an exposed cord came too close to an aluminum ladder.
â€œWhat happened was the cord went in between the ladder and the dock, it had a raw space,â€ said Donna Gross, Shortâ€™s mother-in-law.
Kevinâ€™s 12-year-old son, Kevin, Jr. was actually swimming toward the ladder when his father grabbed it first.
â€œWhen he was reaching for the ladder, he pulled his son back by playing, like â€˜Iâ€™m going to beat you to it,â€™and so big Kevin grabbed the ladder, thatâ€™s when he got electrocuted, so that actually saved little Kevin,â€ said Gross.