Charlotte County Fire and EMS got the call around 12:11 p.m. and said he was diving five miles west of Stump Pass Beach.
The teen was out on a boat with other people. Once fire crews got on scene, two Charlotte County divers went in the water and found the teen 40 feet deep.
He was brought back up to the boat and was given CPR, according to Charlotte County fire.
The 17-year-old was rushed to Stump Pass Marina to meet the ambulance. The teen was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Fire crews said it appears the teen went down so deep because he was trying to pull the anchor up from the boat after it got stuck.See NBC 2
- Lars Frolander wins Gold in an incredibly close race at Fukuoka 2001 | FINA World Championships
- Olympic swimmer helping dissident Belarus athletes
- Michigan Swimming and Diving | Getting Better Every Day
- ISL 2020 Highlights: Match 1. Day 1.
- High 5: Skyline High Swimmers Doing Good Deeds To Raise Funds For Swim Team
- Swimming In Syrup Is As Easy As Swimming In Water
- Swimming Around Alcatraz Island | The #AskASwimPro Show
- Xie Siyi – Top 3 dives | FINA World Championships