Libby Bligh had been swimming with a friend near Ardersier in the Highlands on Saturday when she was stung on her hand by a lion’s mane jellyfish.
Within a short time she was left severely unwell and struggling to breathe.
Her friend drove her to hospital in Inverness where she spent 12 hours receiving treatment.
Lion’s mane jellyfish are common in UK waters and seen from May until early autumn. Their tentacles can grow up to 3m (10ft) in length and are covered in stinging cells. These are used for catching fish and smaller jellyfish for food.Read BBC
Scottish swimmer ‘lucky to be alive’ after jellyfish sting