The U.S. Coast Guard Sector Mobile says an attempt at a human chain left multiple swimmers in distress Saturday near Fort Morgan.
The Coast Guard says it received a 9-1-1 report of a 9-year-old who had been swept out by the current. They say approximately 20 good Samaritans formed a human chain to reach the child, but the chain fell apart.
This resulted in all 20 swimmers being in distress. The Coast Guard says it launched a response boat from Dauphin Island, but in the end all rescues were performed by local responders.Read NBC 15
- Bend Polar Plunge benefiting Special Olympics Oregon goes virtual, offers variety
- Water Safety in New Zealand
- Dara Torres Tells Us How to Keep Kids Active This Winter
- Researching the Biomechanics of Paralympic Swimming
- Inside with Brett Hawke: Ky Hurst
- Things Swimmers Never Say
- Why I’m ice swimming in the Lake District every day in January
- Will Wave Pools Replace Ocean Surfing? | w/ Mick Fanning & Jamie O’Brien