A Memorial Day outing on the water turned tragic in Butte County. A young man drowned on his 21st birthday after reportedly trying to swim across a pond while carrying a ten pound rock.
According to the Oroville CHP, 21-year-old Austin Harr of Gridley drowned while swimming at the Gridley Plunge, in the Oroville Wildlife Area. The area is at the dredger ponds off Palm Avenue.
Witnesses told officials Harr was holding a the large rock while trying to swim across the pond.
He disappeared in the water and did not emerge.
His body was found about 40 minutes later, around 5:50 p.m.
- ZEISS ZX1 Flow | Christina Jones
- Beloved swim coach in Chandler who died this summer will be honored by district
- Coyote News Swim Team
- Swimming lessons | Sports | Welcome back to University of Nottingham Swim School
- The Great Labour Ward Swim | Southampton Hospitals Charity
- Delaney Schnell – Top 3 dives | FINA World Championships
- 3 Things That Cured My Shoulder Pain | Swimming Injuries | Effortless Swimming
- FIRST LOOK: Stadium Swim at Circa hotel-casino to offer heated pool experience | KTNV Channel 13 Las Vegas