The case marks the second death from the devastating infection in Florida this summer.
A teen has died from a rare “brain-eating” amoeba infection after a family vacation in Florida, according to news reports.
The 13-year-old, Tanner Wall, and his family had recently stayed at a campground in North Florida, which has a water park and lake where the boy went swimming, according to local news outlet News4Jax. Several days after swimming in the lake, Tanner developed symptoms, including nausea, vomiting, headaches and a stiff neck, News4Jax reported.
Tanner was initially diagnosed with strep throat, but his parents suspected Tanner could have a more serious condition, and so they drove him to UF Health in Gainesville, Florida, for a second opinion.
There, the teen was placed on a ventilator, and doctors made a devastating discovery.
“They said, ‘We’re sorry to tell you this, but your son … has a parasitic amoeba, and there is no cure,'” Tanner’s father, Travis Wall, told News4Jax. Tanner died from an infection with Naegleria fowleri on Aug. 2, News4Jax reported.Read Live Science
- Para Swimmers Share Their Story of Inclusion and Success Through the Help of Their Coaches
- Swim Australia Swim Safer Week with Ambassador Jade
- ISL 2020 Review | This Is The Future Of Swimming | Propulsion Swimming
- Winter Swimming – Key Things You Need to Know About the Joys of Cold Water Swims
- How We Got To The Deepest Part Of The Ocean – Guinness World Records
- Anna Bader’s INCREDIBLE 20m Final Performance at #FINABarcelona2013 | High Diving
- Diving Insights – with Jamaica’s Yona Knight-Wisdom | Technical Talks
- Adam Peaty & Kira Toussaint on their new Short Course World Records