The case marks the second death from the devastating infection in Florida this summer.
A teen has died from a rare “brain-eating” amoeba infection after a family vacation in Florida, according to news reports.
The 13-year-old, Tanner Wall, and his family had recently stayed at a campground in North Florida, which has a water park and lake where the boy went swimming, according to local news outlet News4Jax. Several days after swimming in the lake, Tanner developed symptoms, including nausea, vomiting, headaches and a stiff neck, News4Jax reported.
Tanner was initially diagnosed with strep throat, but his parents suspected Tanner could have a more serious condition, and so they drove him to UF Health in Gainesville, Florida, for a second opinion.
There, the teen was placed on a ventilator, and doctors made a devastating discovery.
“They said, ‘We’re sorry to tell you this, but your son … has a parasitic amoeba, and there is no cure,'” Tanner’s father, Travis Wall, told News4Jax. Tanner died from an infection with Naegleria fowleri on Aug. 2, News4Jax reported.Read Live Science
- Plenty Effort But No Records At Long Course Swimming Championships
- What made Doc Counsilman a great swim coach | Inside with Brett Hawke
- “Don’t Swim In The Sinkholes In Mexico” | Creepypasta | Horror Story
- A Brisbane Woman Attempts to Swim a Lap of Bribie Island | 7NEWS
- Blackboard Breakdown | Is Ryan Murphy the Backstroke King? | Propulsion Swimming
- How to Handle High-Pressure Swimming Taper Meets | The Social Kick
- Madisyn Cox Gives Advice on Navigating Freshman Year of College | Ultimate Swimmer
- Jack Bridge | Para Swimming Guide and Reliving London 2012 Paralympics | Propulsion Swimming