A man has died after being mauled by a shark at a netted beach in Australia.
The swimmer, believed to be in his 50s, was bitten on the leg just off Greenmount Beach in Coolangatta.
The attack happened just after 5pm local time and the man died shortly after. Queensland Ambulance Service attended the scene.
Beaches both north and south of Greenmount Beach were immediately closed after the attack. Beaches further out on the Gold Coast are expected to stay closed on Wednesday.
Witnesses told local broadcaster 9News that bystanders and lifeguards rushed into the water to try and help the man, but he succumbed to his injuries later.Read the Independent
- Tom Daley vs. Chen Aisen | Budapest 2017 | FINA World Championships
- Coronavirus: 2021 Island Games in Guernsey are postponed because of pandemic
- Doing My First Ultra Swim // 8km Ocean Swim // Alwyn Uys Vlogs
- U.S. Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte discusses why the Spire Institute & Academy is the perfect place to train athletes for success
- Chinese elite swimmer goes from the pool to policing
- Epic Irish Swim | Ocean Swimming With GCN’s Conor Dunne
- Netherlands claim New World Record at Rome 2009 | FINA World Championships
- Announcement of Grand Opening Ceremony of Tokyo Aquatics Centre