A man has died after being mauled by a shark at a netted beach in Australia.
The swimmer, believed to be in his 50s, was bitten on the leg just off Greenmount Beach in Coolangatta.
The attack happened just after 5pm local time and the man died shortly after. Queensland Ambulance Service attended the scene.
Beaches both north and south of Greenmount Beach were immediately closed after the attack. Beaches further out on the Gold Coast are expected to stay closed on Wednesday.
Witnesses told local broadcaster 9News that bystanders and lifeguards rushed into the water to try and help the man, but he succumbed to his injuries later.Read the Independent
- Lapland town of Salla highlights climate crisis with 2032 Olympics campaign
- Experts Question Florida Bid To Host 2021 Summer Olympics: ‘Mind-Bogglingly Stupid’
- Cold Comforts of Winter Swimming Continue in Ireland
- World Record – Amanda Beard 🇺🇸 | #FINABarcelona2003
- Fast Freestyle Swimming Technique – Best Head Position Comparison
- World Record – Team Australia | #FINAShanghai2006 | 4x100m Medley Relay
- Paul Nelson Aquatic Center Pool Reopens to Public After COVID-19 Outbreak
- World Record – Markus Rogan vs. Ryan Lochte | Manchester 2008 | 200m Backstroke