A 13-year-old boy skin diving for lobsters was attacked by a shark Saturday along the Southern California coast but was quickly pulled from the water by other divers and flown to a trauma center, authorities said.
The boy was in critical but stable condition more than nine hours later at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego, spokesman Carlos Delgado said.
The boy underwent surgery but no other information about him, including his name, was released.
The boy suffered traumatic upper torso injuries, city Lifeguard Capt. Larry Giles told reporters earlier at Beacon’s Beach in Encinitas, about 27 miles (43 kilometers) north of downtown San Diego.
- ISL Training Camp // Turkey 2020 // Michael Andrew Vlogs
- The Difference Between a Good vs Great Swimmer With Kaitlin Sandeno
- Inside with Brett Hawke: James Guy
- How a 3-year-old Dubai boy trapped in a swimming pool was rescued
- Nevada’s Ben Hines rules the pool
- Swimmer found unresponsive, pronounced dead at Magic Island
- ‘Coach Rich’ vows to rebuild aquatic center after Hurricane Sally destroyed it
- Farmington uses dogs, families as cardboard cutout fans for swim meets