A 13-year-old boy skin diving for lobsters was attacked by a shark Saturday along the Southern California coast but was quickly pulled from the water by other divers and flown to a trauma center, authorities said.
The boy was in critical but stable condition more than nine hours later at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego, spokesman Carlos Delgado said.
The boy underwent surgery but no other information about him, including his name, was released.
The boy suffered traumatic upper torso injuries, city Lifeguard Capt. Larry Giles told reporters earlier at Beacon’s Beach in Encinitas, about 27 miles (43 kilometers) north of downtown San Diego.
- Swimming in the Ice Hole for Christening
- Physical Performance Depends on Sleep – Fit to Succeed Episode 52 With Dr. Michael Grandner
- Periodization? Rest Week? What? | Ask A Coach | Mind Right Endurance
- Body of 14-Year-Old Missing Swimmer Found in Lake
- Nets to Protect Swimmers in South Africa Are Killing Sharks | Money Talks
- Teenager Drowns While Swimming With Friends at a Popular Sydney Spot
- Serbia: Orthodox athletes celebrate Epiphany with winter swim in Belgrade
- Russia’s Putin takes traditional Epiphany dip in icy waters