Dog dies after swimming in toxic Bay Area lake


Dog owners are being warned to be careful after at least one dog, and maybe more, died from swimming in a toxic lake. The conditions at Lake Chabot may have been brought on by the drought.

It’s suspected that the slimy blue-green algae in the lake caused the death of a dog that played with Karen Johanson’s dog. They share the same veterinarian. Johanson said the dog that died was “the sweetest chocolate lab, Josie. Just a wonderful dear gentle soul.”

“In the 80 year history of the park district, this is the first year we’ve had a toxic algae blooms,” Carolyn Jones, an East Bay Regional Parks spokesperson, said.

Signs have been placed around Lake Chabot warning people and their pets not to come in contact with the water. It’s believed the drought created ripe conditions for this algae bloom.

See ABC 7 News

Photo by sfbaywalk

About Author

Production engineer and certified swim coach. Full-time IT consultant, spare-time swimming aficionado. 2 sons, 2 daughters and a wife. President of the Faroe Islands Swimming Association. Likes to run :-)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: