This summer, Ellie Simmonds is encouraging the nation to get back in the water and rediscover their love of swimming with an exclusive SwimBritain training session.
A new four-week study by British Gas SwimBritain reveals that swimming increases sleep quality, energy levels and fitness. In fact, it can improve well-being by 20% after only one 30 minute session – just one more reason to join Ellie and get back in the pool.
Ellie’s training plan
- Before you start, make sure you have a water bottle to hand. Just because you’re in water doesn’t mean you’re properly hydrated!
- To warm up, swim six lengths of a 25m pool, with a twenty second rest between each length.
- For your main workout, first swim two lengths of either front crawl or breaststroke at a regular pace.
- For the next two lengths, swim the first half of the length at your fastest pace then slow for the second half.
- Repeat this for three lengths, taking a 20 second rest between each length.
- Then finally swim two more lengths returning to your regular pace.
- To cool down, swimming four lengths at your regular pace is all it should take for you bring your heart rate back down.
If you’re thinking of swimming more regularly, sign up now to British Gas SwimBritain taking place this September. With free instructor led sessions and a goal to motivate you, SwimBritain is the best way to restart your swimming.
There are two ways to get involved; SwimBritain1000 is a four-person relay where each team member swims 250m four times around a specially-designed course. SwimBritain500 is designed with families in mind, where team members swim half the distance (125m, four times).
Everyone signing up to British Gas SwimBritain will receive two free instructor led sessions, redeemable in over 100 pools across the country, access to SwimBritain coaching materials and the SwimBritain Training App to help improve your technique and training over the summer. Participants also receive a t-shirt, swimming cap and event medal after they complete the challenge.
Registrations are now open. For further information on venues, how to sign up your team and get training plans and tips, visit swimbritain.co.uk/