Ten years ago, Stevens’ milestone moment to qualify for the Athens Games became a sideshow when the great Ian Thorpe inexplicably tumbled into the water like a winged albatross and was disqualified from the 400m freestyle event at the trials.
Stevens finished second to Grant Hackett – in a personal best time – but the pressure mounted for him to relinquish his place to Thorpe. The issue dominated the media for a month.
“Is it really that long? Ten years? I hadn’t even thought of that.”
- Jenny Garrison, North Central Triathlon and Swimming Coach, Discusses Female Role Models
- Tom Daley vs. Chen Aisen | Budapest 2017 | FINA World Championships
- Coronavirus: 2021 Island Games in Guernsey are postponed because of pandemic
- Doing My First Ultra Swim // 8km Ocean Swim // Alwyn Uys Vlogs
- U.S. Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte discusses why the Spire Institute & Academy is the perfect place to train athletes for success
- Chinese elite swimmer goes from the pool to policing
- Epic Irish Swim | Ocean Swimming With GCN’s Conor Dunne
- Netherlands claim New World Record at Rome 2009 | FINA World Championships