Ten years ago, Stevens’ milestone moment to qualify for the Athens Games became a sideshow when the great Ian Thorpe inexplicably tumbled into the water like a winged albatross and was disqualified from the 400m freestyle event at the trials.
Stevens finished second to Grant Hackett – in a personal best time – but the pressure mounted for him to relinquish his place to Thorpe. The issue dominated the media for a month.
“Is it really that long? Ten years? I hadn’t even thought of that.”
- International Olympic Committee Denies Reports That Tokyo Summer Games Will Be Canceled
- Are the 2021 Tokyo Olympics Canceled? | MySwimPro
- SwimVice | Pro Analysis Series – Simone Manuel 100 Meter Freestyle 2016 Rio Olympics
- Why You’re Out Of Breath After 100m Swimming | How To Master Freestyle Swim Breathing | Global Triathlon Network
- ‘It felt like I was the first person to step on Mars’: Anchorage free divers plunge into icy Rabbit Lake
- Homemade Protein Balls For Swimmer | Swimmer Strength
- Road to Tokyo: First Race of 2021 | Cody Miller Vlogs
- Swimming in the Ice Hole for Christening