The 26-year-old distance freestyler lives in Whenuapai, having returned after flourishing in swimming and business studies at the University of California. She was looking forward to her holiday break – all three days of it – when the Herald caught up with her at the North Shore’s Millennium Institute. Apart from that, it is full steam ahead, with her major targets the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and Pan Pacific Games on the Gold Coast next year.
Can you sum up your year? Fantastic. I’ve had more exposure to different coaches and environments. People know the coaching changes in NZ swimming and there have been major adjustments. I’m proud to have achieved what I did in tough circumstances. A few magazines and articles called the 1500m race at Barcelona the best of the year because the girls who finished one and two were under the previous world record and I was only 2s away.
- Voices of Youth: Hamna
- Great White Shark Spotted Near Wells, Maine
- Olympians Elizabeth Beisel, Josh Davis, and Ashley Twichell Talk Swimming at the USMS Happy Hour
- Katie McGibbon – Swim Faster With Science | Smart Athlete Podcast Ep. 64
- How I Swam From Asia To Europe | Bosphorus Cross Continental Swim (Boğaziçi Kıtalararası Yüzme) | MySwimPro
- Paralympic swimmer’s special bond with guide dog
- Two Dead In Separate Boating Accidents On South Lake Tahoe; Officials See Increase In Water Rescues
- Accounting & Tax Planning Advice For Professional Swimmers