Always nice to know …
- Do not go in the water at dawn or dusk; everything is in the shark’s favor. Shark attacks around midday are very rare.
- Avoid large groups of seals or sea lions, or if you see these creatures on the beach or near the shoreline, beware.
- If you are bleeding, including menstruating, stay out of the water.
- Stay clear of fishing boats.
- The murkier the water, the easier it is for a shark to sense you without your seeing the shark. Shark attacks are more likely to occur than when the water is clear.
- Leave the water quickly and calmly if a shark is sighted. Avoid excessive splashing or arm and leg movement.
- Stay in a group; most sharks attack individuals.