Klaksvík Swim Club “Ægir” in the Faroe Islands is seeking a Head Coach, who will coach the elite teams and supervise the competitive sector of the club in whole ensuring that the coaching of all teams is consistent and applies to the overall philosophy of the club.
Currently the competitive swimmers of the club compete in National, Nordic and European competitions with some of the swimmers highly ranked in their respective European age group. The swim club aims to be the best in the country, within a time frame of 2-4 years to have swimmers among the best in the Nordic countries and within 6 years among the best in Europes junior levels.
Klaksvík is, with its 5.000 inhabitants, the second biggest city of the Faroe Islands, which was recently rated the most appealing destination in the world, in a survey conducted by National Geographic Traveller.
The islands are situated in the middle of the triangle formed by Scotland, Iceland and Norway. The city of Klaksvík is a modern Nordic city with all common facilities. The Faroe Islands are a fully fledged individual member of FINA.
Klaksvík Swim club has approximately 150 members. 100 participate in the swim school, 30 in competitive swimming and approximately 20 are older recreational swimmers. The club has access to 3 swimming pools, fitness, as well as other sport facilities.
Currently, the competitive swimmers of the club compete in National, Nordic and European competitions with some of the swimmers highly ranked in their respective European age group.
- arrange and prepare the training of the elite team
- supervise the competitive sector of the club and motivate and instruct respective trainers
- motivate swimmers in their daily training and in preparation for competitions
- advice swimmers with regards to lifestyle e.g. food, rest, etc.
- communicate with club stakeholders e.g. board of directors, parents, the national swimming association, the Faroese swimming community
- with support from main stakeholders drive the club into a world-class swim club
- visualise new possibilities and ideas for the club
- be focused on physical and psychological health of the swimmers
- ensure a sound and steady age-related development without injuries
- be an active pool side coach along with the assisting trainers
- explore and communicate the latest knowledge and best practices in the world of swimming and disseminate this new knowledge to the rest of the club
- especially fellow trainers- participate actively in competitions and training camps
- a university degree in coaching and/or considerable experience and relevant education in sports
- international and/or national credentials
- high work commitment
- be inspiring and communicative
- be responsible and independent in the daily work
- keen to share knowledge and experience with other coaches in the club
- communicate clearly in English or a Scandinavian language
We offer you:
- the opportunity to work in a small, peaceful and friendly society of 48,000 people with its own language and culture
- the opportunity to achieve acknowledgement and appreciation by the people of the Faroe Islands
- the opportunity to contribute to the advancement and well being of the town of Klaksvík
- a stimulating and challenging opportunity, where you directly determine your own work environment and develop your own projects and goals
- the possibility to become part of the National coach team. Faroe Islands are an individual member of FINA. Furthermore Faroese swimmers can participate in the Olympic Games.
- the opportunity to collaborate with an active board of directors and a resourceful group of parents
- a salary that is commensurate with your experience and qualifications
- the support of the club to locate suitable housing
- the free use of a car
- free telephone and internet
- 2 year contract with 3 to 6 month’s trial period and a possibility of further extension
You are welcome to contact Rannvá Sigfríðsdóttir member of the board, by email rannvasigfridsdottir (at) gmail.com
Applications shall be sent to:
or preferably by email to rannvasigfridsdottir (at) gmail.com
Application deadline is June 1st 2017
It is our wish that the new Head Coach can start 1 august