Brown probing alleged hazing on men’s swim and dive team

0

Brown University said it has launched an investigation into alleged hazing on the men’s varsity swimming and diving team at the Ivy League school, after a probe by its student newspaper.

The Brown Daily Herald reported that it reviewed text messages, emails, photos and recordings of conversations among team members, who described Oct. 7 as a night of “initiation” or “hazing,” with heavy drinking, vandalism and other activities.

The newspaper found that multiple first-year members of the team vomited that night and team members vandalized a statue of the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius seated atop a horse by climbing on it and smashing Smirnoff Ice vodka bottles against it. A swimming and diving captain described it on an audio recording as a tradition of “smashing the ‘Ices’ against the statues.”

Read Washington Post

Advertisements

About Author

Production engineer and certified swim coach. Full-time IT consultant, spare-time swimming aficionado. 2 sons, 2 daughters and a wife. President of the Faroe Islands Swimming Association. Likes to run :-)

Leave A Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close