Disgraced Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte is joining the “Dancing With the Stars” cast, ABC television announced on Tuesday, as the gold medalist said he thought reaction to his tale about being held up at a Rio de Janeiro gas station had been blown out of proportion.
Lochte, 32, was dropped by four of his major sponsors after admitting he “overexaggerated” a tale about being robbed and held at gunpoint with three other swimmers after a party during the Rio Olympics. Brazilian authorities say the group destroyed a bathroom and urinated in public, and have recommended that Lochte be charged with falsely reporting a crime.
The swimmer, who was also vilified in the media over the incident, did not say whether he planned to return to Brazil to face the charges.
“I think it’s everyone blowing this way out of proportion. I think that’s what happened,” Lochte told ABC television’s “Good Morning America” on Tuesday, when asked whether he had embarrassed the United States with his actions.
“Like I said, I did lie about that one part,” said Lochte, referring to his claim that a gun was held to his head. “I take full responsibility. I’m human. I made a mistake. A very big mistake.”
Read Business Insider