Kenya has disbanded its National Olympics Committee (NOC-K) because of the poor handling of the east African country’s team during the Rio Olympics, sports minister Hassan Wario said on Thursday.
Wario has set up a committee to investigate the misconduct and will report its findings by September 30. The Directorate of Criminal Investigation has also been asked to begin a probe.
“There was alleged mismanagement of the facilitation of our athletes and the entire team Kenya ranging from accommodation and travel mishaps, mishandling of the accreditation of the list of participants to the provision of kits that never reached the athletes,” Wario told a news conference.
“I do hereby disband the National Olympic Committee with immediate effect and transfer their responsibilities to Sports Kenya as the interim custodian.”
- Comeback Rio Moment – Anthony Ervin
- Muslim parents must send children to mixed swimming lessons, European court rules
- GoPro Awards : Frozen Lake Free Dive
- The Most Underrated Sport
- Swimming Among Top-3 Sports to Help You Live Longer
- Swimmer died from broken neck after being hit by wave
- Unbounded by Gravity, This Free Diver Can Follow His Dream to Fly | Short Film Showcase
- 10 Life-Saving Facts Everyone Should Know