Kenya has disbanded its National Olympics Committee (NOC-K) because of the poor handling of the east African country’s team during the Rio Olympics, sports minister Hassan Wario said on Thursday.
Wario has set up a committee to investigate the misconduct and will report its findings by September 30. The Directorate of Criminal Investigation has also been asked to begin a probe.
“There was alleged mismanagement of the facilitation of our athletes and the entire team Kenya ranging from accommodation and travel mishaps, mishandling of the accreditation of the list of participants to the provision of kits that never reached the athletes,” Wario told a news conference.
“I do hereby disband the National Olympic Committee with immediate effect and transfer their responsibilities to Sports Kenya as the interim custodian.”
- Michael Phelps (USA) – Best Male Swimmer 2016 – FINA World Aquatics Gala
- Adam Peaty (GBR) – Male Top Olympic Performer 2016 – FINA World Aquatics Gala
- Sharon van Rouwendaal – Best Female Open Water Swimmer 2016 – FINA World Aquatics Gala
- Katinka Hosszu (HUN) – Best Female Swimmer 2016 – FINA World Aquatics Gala
- Katie Ledecky (USA) – Female Top Olympic Performer 2016 – FINA World Aquatics Gala
- Michael Phelps after receiving Lifetime Achievement Award | Windsor 2016
- Swimming participation in England falls by nearly 24%
- Project Sky Canvas plans shooting stars from space for Tokyo 2020