Michael Phelps laughed as his mind drifted back over years of agonizing training sessions, blowout arguments with coaches and shared jokes with friends.
He worked out at the Meadowbrook Aquatic Center in Mount Washington for perhaps the final time on Saturday morning as he prepares for a fifth Olympics this summer.
Phelps was in town for the Countdown to Gold Gala, a fundraiser for the North Baltimore Aquatic Club, where the record-setting Olympian has trained for most of his career.
“My family has had a long history with this club,” he said before the dinner. “For us, NBAC is always our home.”
- Malaysian swimmer Welson Sim sets new SEA Games record
- Swimming Men’s 50m butterfly | Games record | 29th SEA Games 2017
- Daniel & Gyurta Gergely: brothers to remember – 29th Summer Universiade 2017, Taipei, Chinese Taipei
- Denied a minute’s silence, Spanish swimmer stands for Barcelona
- Congratulations on the Gold, Team Singapore synchronised swimmers!
- Summer 2017 Splash Magazine: Olivia Smoliga’s Tips for a Great Start
- China snubs ‘Little Olympics’ opening ceremony in Taiwan
- Woman stuck in swimming pool turns to Facebook for help