Michael Phelps laughed as his mind drifted back over years of agonizing training sessions, blowout arguments with coaches and shared jokes with friends.
He worked out at the Meadowbrook Aquatic Center in Mount Washington for perhaps the final time on Saturday morning as he prepares for a fifth Olympics this summer.
Phelps was in town for the Countdown to Gold Gala, a fundraiser for the North Baltimore Aquatic Club, where the record-setting Olympian has trained for most of his career.
“My family has had a long history with this club,” he said before the dinner. “For us, NBAC is always our home.”
- Lilly King after Rio Olympics: stressed by fame, bored by swimming, getting bad grades
- FrogLog: Animal Escape Ramp for Swimming Pools
- Move over, blood doping; cyclists might be “poop doping” soon
- Two Elephants Quickly Spring Into Action to Rescue a Baby Elephant From Drowning
- 60 Days Down The Danube With Avram Iancu
- Watch: Owl ‘Swims’ for Its Life in Rare Video | National Geographic
- Aussies celebrate Antarctic midwinter with an icy dip
- Chicago swim lessons aim to increase water safety